In this video, you’ll learn how to say all the sports that are part of the Summer Olympics. You’ll see a picture of the sport, the name of the sport, and the IPA pronunciation/phonetic transcription of the sport name. Watch my lips, listen, and repeat after me!
Learn more: English Vocabulary: The Olympic Games
• In North America, this sport is more commonly called track and field, because it’s a collection of events that include running races around a track, and jumping and throwing competitions on the field inside the track.
canoe – slalom
canoe – sprint
• Even though the official name of this sport is canoe, it includes events for two different kinds of boats: canoes, and kayaks
There are 4 different types of cycling sports at the Olympics:
– BMX cycling
– mountain biking
– road cycling
– track cycling
• This sport is more commonly known as horseback riding. There are 3 different events in the sport of equestrian: jumping, eventing, dressage
football … which is called soccer in North America!
There are 2 different types of gymnastics at the Olympics:
– artistic gymnastics
– rhythmic gymnastics
hockey … which, in North America, is called field hockey!
• In this sport, athletes must compete in 5 different events: fencing, swimming, horseback riding, shooting, and running … all in the same day!
• Informally, this sport is also called ping pong.
• In this sport, competitors must swim, cycle and run … one right after the other!
That’s it! Now it’s your turn!
What sport do like to watch at the Olympics?
Let me know in the comments below.